The Intelligent (and Easy!) Way to Understand Data BreachesBreach Clarity assigns every publicly-reported data breach a simple score from 1 to 10, with 10 being the most severe. Think of it as the Richter Scale for data breaches.
Why Score Data Breaches?
As Breach Clarity co-founder Jim Van Dyke was serving as an expert witness in the country’s most significant data breach court cases, he saw the potentially devastating impact of these incidents on consumers. He began to wonder, “How could the same critical courtroom analysis of data breaches be made available to every consumer or industry professional, in a clear and simple way?”
Jim found the answer in a machine learning algorithm. Built to perform a consistent, objective and advanced analysis of every publicly-reported data breach, the algorithm gives anyone who search a specific breach a score and distinct list of recommended action steps.
The Breach Clarity Score is an important new tool in the fight against identity fraud and cyber crime. It is freely accessible to all consumers at any time.
How it Works
Breach Clarity’s patent-pending algorithm analyzes 1000+ data points to assess the risks of a breach and advise recommend actions. New data points are added as Breach Clarity’s proprietary research and knowledge base expands.
Scoring data breaches in this way is a new, intelligent approach to understanding the risk. The algorithm is unique and highly effective because its informed by these factors:
- Breach Clarity Co-Founder Jim Van Dyke’s work as an expert witness on the country’s most significant data breach cases.
- Ongoing input from numerous fraud and security executives and other industry influencers.
- Current data from objective breach and fraud studies.
- Data maintained by the Identify Theft Resource Center (ITRC), one of the most robust listings of public-reported data breaches, updated daily.
Breach Clarity’s living, breathing algorithm is updated as fraud behavior and patterns evolve. In the future, its most advanced outputs will be available through partnerships with financial services clients.
Turn Information into Action
Data breaches are happening with increasing regularity. Each year:
- Individuals are generally the victim of two data breaches each year
- One-third of known breach victims experience identity fraud.
- Consumers spend $4 billion per year on identity protection services that may not protect them because there hasn’t been an accurate assessment of their risk. It’s like taking medicine before diagnosing the illness.
Each breach is different. Because the amount and type of data compromised changes, each breach has a unique risk profile and mitigation steps.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Yet, that is what consumers are offered. General advice, such as credit monitoring or freezing credit, doesn’t cut it in today’s dynamic cybercrime environment. And, depending on who is offering the advice, it may be more about selling a product than recommending effective tips.
It’s no wonder consumers feel confused, overwhelmed and helpless.
Breach Clarity is an objective party that consumers can trust. We continually scan for threats and research effective protection steps. Our Breach Clarity Score is free to consumers and offers a methodical, unbiased analysis of real risk. Within seconds of searching a data breach, a consumer better understands the risk and exactly what to do about it.
Check our Resources for more helpful information.